How to Import PST to Exchange Online Step By Step; Top 3 Ways Explained
If you want to import PST to Exchange Online, it could be a hectic task to perform if you do not follow the right approach. It simply requires proper planning and implementation. There are some traditional and professional approaches that can be used to complete the task. Hence, in this article, we will discuss some of the popular ways to import PST to Exchange Online.
Table of Content
- How to Import PST Files to Exchange Online – The Traditional Approach
- Professional Software to Import Your Organization’s PST Files
Traditional approaches are free to perform but have various technical limitations. On the other hand, the professional approach guarantees a 100% result with maximum data security and integrity. So, choose wisely because your organization’s data is more important than cost-cutting.
5 Easy Steps to Import PST File to Exchange Online Quickly
- Step 1. Download & Run Software on PC.
- Step 2. Choose Outlook & Office 365 as Platforms.
- Step 3. Choose Workload & Apply Date Filter.
- Step 4. Add PST File & Athuenticate Accounts.
- Step 5. Add Users, Validate & Click on Import.
How to Upload PST Files to Exchange Online Using The Traditional Approach?
First, we will look at manual approaches for importing PST files to Exchange Online. You can use the Microsoft Import service in the Office 365 Security & Compliance Center to import PST files to Exchange Online accounts.
There are two manual methods to import PST files to Exchange Online:
- Network Upload
- Drive Shipping
The complete process of above mentioned manual method is well-defined on the Microsoft website. We are going to explain the basic steps that you have to follow to complete the importing process.
How to Use Network Upload Option to Import PST to Exchange Online?
Here are the step-by-step commands required to use Microsoft Security & Compliance Center network upload to import your organization’s PST files to Office 365:
- Step 1. Copy the SAS URL and install Microsoft Azure AzCopy.
- Step 2. Upload your Organization’s PST files to Microsoft Office 365.
- Step 3. View a list of PST files uploaded to Office 365 Account.
- Step 4. Create the PST Import Mapping file in CSV format.
- Step 5. Create a PST Import Job in a Microsoft Office 365 Account.
- Step 6. Filter the Data and Start the PST Import Process.
These are some of the basic steps to import PST to Exchange Online mailboxes. The network upload method requires high-technical skills and command-line knowledge for its execution. Additionally, some mistakes can lead to the corruption of PST files. So, it is recommended to perform this operation under the supervision of an expert or use an alternative method, which is Drive Shipping.
How to Use Drive Shipping Option to Import PST Files to Exchange Online Mailboxes?
The alternative to Network upload is to use drive shipping to import your organization’s PST files to Office 365 This method is recommended for those users who do not have proper knowledge of Office 365 administration. Microsoft itself performs all the crucial steps. You need to save all the PST files in a drive and ship them to the Microsoft data center. Microsoft will charge $2/GB of the PST file for importing.
Follow the steps with proper attention to Upload PST to Exchange Online:
- Step 1. Download Secure Storage Key and Microsoft PST Import Tool
- Step 2. Copy the PST files to the Local hard drive
- Step 3. Create the PST Import Mapping file in CSV format
- Step 4. Create PST Import Job in Microsoft Office 365 Mailbox
- Step 5. Ship the Local Hard Drive to Microsoft
- Step 6. Last, Filter Data and Start the PST Import Process
The above method is the simplest for any other way for the import task. But, the charges taken by Microsoft are too high. You need to pay this amount for all user’s PST files every time you need to perform this task.
Professional Software to Import Your Organization’s PST Files to Office 365
To secure the migration process, you must opt for a professional method like Office 365 Import Tool. The software will make your hectic job effortless and save you time. Additionally, the automated tool is a one-time purchase tool. An organization can perform the import process for a lifetime. It comes with various advanced features that make it a one-stop-shop solution for users.
Have a look at the tool features that help you upload PST to Exchange Online:
- Import Multiple Outlook PST Files to Exchange Online Accounts.
- Migrate Emails, Contacts, and Calendars to Office 365.
- Include Folders Option to Import only Specific PST Folders.
- Incremental import feature to skip already imported data from PST file.
- Date Filter Option to Move Selective PST Data into Office 365.
- Option to Include / Exclude Deleted or Sent Items Folder.
Now, take a look at the software working, and how the tool imports PST files to Exchange Online mailboxes.
Must Read: How to Migrate Shared Mailbox to Office 365 User Mailbox?
How to Import PST Files to Exchange Online via Professional Tool?
Here is the step-by-step guide to importing PST files to Exchange Online using the software solution.
Step 1. Begin by downloading and installing the software using the buttons below. The installation file will be saved in your designated download folder.
Step 2. Once installed, launch the tool. Choose Outlook as the source platform and Office 365 as the destination.
Step 3. Easily manage your workload by selecting the specific data to import and applying the “Date Filter” option for a customized import to your Exchange Online account.
Step 4. Prioritize data security with our robust authentication system. Authenticate both source and destination platforms for added protection.
Step 5. Add Office 365 users using three methods: Fetch Users, Import Users via CSV file, or Download Template for a sample CSV file. Validate permissions once users are added.
Step 6. Validate users and click “Start” to efficiently upload PST files to your Exchange Online account. Prepare for a smooth import experience ahead.
Also Read: How to Extract Calendar From PST File? An Automated Approach
In this article, we have explained manual (Network Upload and Drive Shipping) as well as automated (as mentioned above) methods to import your Organization’s PST files to Exchange Online account. Now, the choice is yours, choose the right method for your organization for the fast and secure import process. For testing the tool, we recommend first using its demo version. It will allow you to import data items to 2 user accounts.