How to Import Outlook Contacts to Thunderbird in an Easy Way?
Microsoft Outlook is a widely used email client for both business and individual use. After being so popular, there are still some users who want to switch to some other email client. There can be many possible reasons behind their migration like switching the organization and using different email clients at home, and the workplace. In all such scenarios, users want to move their data items also from Outlook. One such important data item is contacts which are very much important for everyone. However, when it comes to switching from Outlook, Thunderbird is the first choice that comes to users’ minds. Hence, this blog will let users know how to import Outlook contacts to Thunderbird in the best possible way.
Reasons to Import Outlook Contacts to Thunderbird
There can be many possible reasons that let users switch from Outlook to Thunderbird in an efficient manner. However, in this section of the post, major ones are covered.
- Thunderbird is easily accessible on multiple platforms like Windows, Mac, and Linux OS.
- It is an open source and free application that a user can directly download on the machine.
- Thunderbird creates an MBOX file to store mailbox data, which is further supported by multiple email clients.
- It has an easy-to-use interface and offers advanced functionalities to enhance performance.
- Also, it uses different file formats to store contacts and calendars.
- Provides a chat feature also that let users stay connected on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Option to customize the desktop of Thunderbird using a number of themes.
- Moreover, it let users work in an organized manner and perform search operations quickly.
After going through all the above points, it is clear that users want to migrate their Outlook data to Thunderbird and the most important is contact. Here, in the next section, we are going to discuss both the manual as well as the professional solution to import Outlook contacts to Thunderbird.
Professional Solution – Import Outlook Contacts to Thunderbird
While using the manual solution, multiple situations arise. Thus, to overcome all such situations, a user is advised to take the help of some trusted third-party tool. FreeViewer vCard Export Software is one such application that will help users out in the same. This software easily imports contacts to Thunderbird in no time. In addition, a user can run this application on any version of Microsoft Windows OS and perform contacts migration in an efficient manner.
Note: If you have Outlook contacts in the form of vCard file, then it is recommend to use vCard Viewer Pro Tool. The tool is easy to use and instantly export the contacts into PST, CSV, split vCard, merge vCard, Google CSV, and Yahoo CSV without facing any issue.
How to Transfer Address Book From Outlook to Thunderbird?
- Launch, install, and run the mentioned Import Tool in your existing Windows OS system.
- Browse the Outlook files directly from the system or you can also auto-detect the files.
- The entire data will automatically be displayed on the panel. Just select the contacts files from there.
- Then, choose the Export option as CSV from the lists.
- Choose the destination location where you want to store your data. Select the option to maintain folder hierarchy.
- At last, click on the Export option. In just a few minutes, the software will display the Export process completed successfully.
Manual Method to Import Outlook Contacts to Thunderbird
There is no direct method available that a user can try. Hence, a user can perform the same task in two different parts, which are discussed below:
- Export Contacts from Outlook
- Import Outlook Contacts to Thunderbird
Step 1: Export Contacts from Outlook in CSV Format
- First of all, open Microsoft Outlook and click the File tab
- Then, you have to click on the Options from the displayed list
- After that, from the Options window click on the Advanced tab
- Next, under the Export section, click on the Export button
- Then, in the Import and Export Wizard dialog box, click on the Export to a File >> Next
- Here, you need to click on the Comma Separated Values (Windows) from the displayed list of formats under the Create a File of the Type section
- After all this, from Select Folder to Export From section, you need to choose the contacts folder from which contacts need to be exported
- Then, you need to choose the destination location of your choice to save the exported file
- Click on the Browse button and choose the location. After choosing the location, click on the OK button. The Export process will begin here
- As the process completed successfully, click on the Next and then on the Finish button
After exporting Outlook contacts in CSV format, it’s time to import the CSV file to Mozilla Thunderbird and complete the migration process.
Step 2: Import Outlook Contacts to Thunderbird
In order to import extracted CSV file from Outlook to Mozilla Thunderbird, follow the steps mentioned below:
- To start the process, open Thunderbird and go to the Tools menu
- After that, choose the Import option from the displayed drop-down menu
- Then, click on the Address Book radio button in the Import window in order to import the contacts files. Click on the Next button
- A list of options is displayed in front of you. Simply click on the Text file (LDIF, .tab, .csv, .txt) option and then on the Next button
- Next, you need to click on the Browse button to choose the CSV file that you want to import
- Select the CSV file and check the First record contains field names checkbox
- Then, you have to click on the Move Up and Move Down button to confirm that the Outlook contacts fields match with that of the Thunderbird contact fields
- After that, you also have to make sure that the Primary Email line up with the email address and the Last Name line up with its corresponding name
- At last click on the OK button and then on the Finish button in order to complete the process.
By following the above process step by step, a user can easily import Outlook contacts to Thunderbird manually.
Limitations of Manual Solution
The above-discussed manual solution to import Outlook contacts to Thunderbird is not a feasible approach. Sometimes, the converted files are not as appropriate as the original data. It means there might be some data integrity and formatting issue. In addition, if the manual process fails badly then it may damage the Outlook PST file. Another major drawback of the manual method is data loss which no one can afford.
Hence, after giving complete knowledge on how can a user import Outlook contacts to Thunderbird, we are finally here. Now, it depends on your choice with which solution you want to continue. Apart from that, the manual solution described above will take a lot of time and effort. And, continuing with a professional approach will do the task in just a few minutes. Also, this tool is one of the best compared to other solutions present on the Internet.