How to Delete Duplicate Contacts in Microsoft Outlook?
Microsoft Outlook is the first choice of users because of there various features like emailing, calendaring, contact management, and so on. At times, users face the problem of duplicate contacts in Outlook and want to remove them for more space. Therefore, in this blog, we will explain some simple methods to delete duplicate contacts in Microsoft Outlook.
So, keep reading this blog post to get the complete and appropriate solution to fix the duplicate contacts issue in Outlook.
Reasons Why Duplicate Contacts are Created in Outlook?
- If a user uses different email accounts with the same name, a new contact is created for the same person.
- When you synchronize the Outlook contacts s with your laptop, mobile devices, or some social platforms it causes the creation of duplicate contacts.
- When the e-mail messages are dragged to the Contacts folder, a new contact is automatically created in Outlook.
Also Read: How to Merge Multiple Archive PST Files
User Query- How to Delete Duplicate Contacts in Microsoft Outlook
“I have over 3000 contacts in my Outlook and there are multiple duplicates. Now, I would like to delete all my duplicate contacts from my Outlook address book. I have tried a manual solution to do so but fails. My Outlook is hanging while performing this task. So I don’t try it again. Now I need an easy and quick way to remove duplicate contacts in Outlook 2016.”
Manual Ways to Delete Duplicate Contacts in Microsoft Outlook
Here we are going to describe step by step manual process to remove duplicate contacts in Outlook 2016, 2013, and 2010 one by one.
#Method 1. Delete Duplicate Contacts One at a Time
- Open Outlook and click People
- In the Current View group, click the right corner of the views box and then click on Phone
Note: You can easily use this method to scan contacts to find duplicates.
- In the contacts list, hold the Ctrl key and select the duplicate contacts want to delete then press Delete
#Method 2. Delete Multiple Duplicate Contacts Using Export & Import
To delete duplicate contacts in Microsoft Outlook one by one is lengthy and time-consuming. Therefore, the fastest and easiest way is to export them to a file, then import them into a new folder.
- Launch Outlook and click People.
- Right-click Contacts under My Contacts and select New Folder.
- Give the name of your new folder like “Remove Duplicates”
- Click back to the main Contact folder.
- Press Ctrl+A to select all contacts.
- Drag and drop the contacts into the Remove Duplicates folder. When you drag and drop contacts into a new folder, the main Contacts folder becomes empty.
- Now, click File >> Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- Choose the option of Export to a file and hit the Next button.
- Choose Comma Separated Values and again click Next.
- Select the Remove Duplicates folder and press Next.
- Click browse and select the desired location to save the CSV file and hit the Finish button.
Import Contacts Back Into Microsoft Outlook
- Select File >> Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- Choose Import from another program or file and then select Comma Separated Values.
- Press the Browse button and select the exported file. Under the Options, choose “Do not import duplicates” and click Next.
- Choose your main contacts folder as the destination folder and hit the Finish button.
Get Back Contacts From The New Folder Created to Main Contacts Folder
If you ever get a duplicate again, you will see a pop-up with two options:
- Select “Add new contact” if the contact is not a duplicate.
- Select “Update information of selected contact” if the contact is a duplicate.
- After selecting the required option, click on Update. And click on the Update All option if you want to repeat the same selection for all duplicate contacts.
Note- When the procedure is finished, you can delete the Remove Duplicates folder.
This is the complete process to remove duplicate Outlook contacts manually. This method is very lengthy and confusing. If you are not satisfied with the manual approach you easily choose an expert solution to simplify the task.
Instant Solution to Delete Duplicate Contacts in Microsoft Outlook
In order to simply and accurately combine or remove duplicate contacts in Outlook, you can use the Outlook Duplicate Remove tool. This software is capable to remove duplicate Outlook contacts without losing a bit of data integrity of your Outlook contacts.
Not only It helps to delete duplicate contacts but also helps to eliminate duplicate emails in Outlook. With the help of this application, you can combine unlimited contacts from Outlook without duplicates. It is compatible with all Outlook Versions such as 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, etc., and also works on Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, etc.
Follow these steps to delete duplicate Outlook contacts;
Step 1. First, download the software and open it.
Step 2. Click on the Add File(s) or Add Folder to add the PST file.
Step 3. Choose the Within Folder(s) or Across Folder(s) option and click on the Next button.
Step 4. Select the Contacts option from the Select filter and duplicate criteria option.
Step 5. After applying all settings click on the Next button to start the process and once the process is over click on the OK button to complete the task.
In the above blog, we explained step by step how to delete duplicate contacts in Microsoft Outlook. Here, we have also discussed the manual solution to remove duplicate contacts from Microsoft Outlook. You can choose any method according to your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
In the quick tool tip section we have mentioned software that allows the user to delete duplicate Outlook contacts while merging.
Yes, the mentioned software will let you combine Outlook contacts from different accounts into a single one.
Yes, you can export the contacts to a CSV file and then import CSV into the Outlook application. While importing the CSV file, you need to check the “Do not import duplicates” box to remove the duplicates.