Hello everybody! Are you using Mozilla Thunderbird email application right now? Unfortunately! Thunderbird only has basic functionalities. This is the reason people are switching to another email platform such as Microsoft Outlook for better and efficient email communication. Outlook has all the advanced functionalities that make it best in its domain.
But, there is a problem
If users are planning to switch from Thunderbird email application to Microsoft Outlook, then there will be a requirement to import Thunderbird profile to Outlook. Sadly! There is no direct solution that can perform data migration between these two desktop-oriented email applications.
Hold On! You Can Try other Methods
Although, there is no inbuilt functionality that directly migrates data between these two mail clients. So, after considering this problem, we come up with this article. In the upcoming section, we will discuss two workarounds that can transfer Thunderbird folders to Outlook without any fail. So, without wasting any minute, let’s begin!
Techniques to Export Thunderbird Profile into Outlook 2019/2016/2013
Generally, there are two methods that can migrate messages between Thunderbird and Outlook.
1. Manual Method
2. Smart Automated Solution
#Approach 1: Use Drag-and-Drop
It is a free way that can export emails from Thunderbird folders to MS Outlook application. In this method, we have to move T-Bird emails into EML format. Afterward, import all the EML files into MS Outlook using drag and drop technique. The entire process is classified into two steps and you have to follow every step sequentially.
Step 1: Export Thunderbird Email in EML
- First of all, you have to make a new folder at any location on PC for .eml files.
- After that, open Mozilla Thunderbird mail client.
- Now, drag the mail from email folder(s) that you want to transfer and drop them into the folder that previously created.
- Repeat step 3 till all the emails get converted into EML format.
Step 2: Transfer EML into MS Outlook 2016/2013/2010
Once you have done with step 1, then go with the below instructions.
- Open Outlook that has an existing profile.
- Now, drag and drop all the EML files into Outlook folder. Make sure you have enough time because this process consumes time.
The above method is beneficial when there are a few numbers of messages in Thunderbird profile. However, when the emails are available in large number, the same method become cumbersome for a user. Because it is not easy to convert each Thunderbird folder (including Inbox, Drafts, Outbox etc.) emails into EML and import them into Outlook too. So, it is not a reliable workaround when the user is dealing with a huge number of messages into Thunderbird profile. In such a scenario, just take the help of the second method.
#Approach 2: Intelligent & Fast Way to Move Thunderbird Profile to Outlook
Instead of migrating data into EML, it is better to import entire T-Bird profile database into Outlook supported file format i.e., PST (Personal Storage Table File). For this, use MBOX to Outlook Converter. A utility that directly fetches the Thunderbird profile data and converts them into Outlook PST format with complete information. The best part – the software supports all the latest version of Windows Operating system such as Windows 10, 8.1, 8.
Now, check out how this tool works.
1. Download the software to export Thunderbird profile to Outlook.
2. After complete installation of utility, open it and click on Add File option.
3. In Add File wizard, there is a clear option to import Default profile configured from Mozilla Thunderbird, Entourage, Eudora, Netscape Mail, SeaMonkey and much more. You only need to select the radio button of that option. By doing this, it will automatically extract files from Thunderbird profile.
4. In the next window, you can either migrate data of selected identity or all configured profiles into equivalent Outlook supported file format. For transfer, all the T-Bird profiles, just check the box corresponding to Convert All Identities. Else, opt for individual identity under Select Identities option as shown in the screenshot.
5. After scanning, all the emails get displayed on the software preview pane. Here, you can check all the emails metadata attributes. Then, click on Export.
6. From Export Wizard, select PST format. Plus, if you want to export data of the selected folder, then opt for Export Selected Folders. Else, go with the Export All Folders feature. Also, provide a location where you can save the resultant .pst file.
7. Finally, hit on Export button to import Thunderbird profile into Outlook PST file.
Bringing It All Together
Moving from one email application to another one for better mail facility is very common in today’s arena. Likewise, exporting Thunderbird profile to Outlook 2016/2019 for taking advantage of advanced features is very common among the users. Therefore, we have discussed all the possible solutions in this post that let users know how to move Thunderbird profile data to Outlook data file.