How To Backup Thunderbird Email To Hard Drive Efficiently?
Due to increasing data theft and loss, data security has become a major concern. Backup is considered as a secure method to protect data from any loss or theft. Even for desktop-based clients like Mozilla Thunderbird, email backup has become necessary. Earlier, Thunderbird is thought to save user data in the system or local server securely. Unfortunately, system crashing and unauthorized hacking can cause Thunderbird data loss too. Users must know how to backup Thunderbird email to Hard Drive to face such situations. This write-up will describe different techniques of Thunderbird data backup. Before that, have a look at the importance of Thunderbird message backup in Hard Drive.
“Hello, I need to know the procedure to back up all data for my Thunderbird email account to an external hard drive or cloud storage. I am currently using an up-to-date version of Windows 10 on an HP computer. And the Thunderbird edition is 60.3.3.”
Importance of Backup Thunderbird Email to Hard Drive
Users might think that Thunderbird emails need no backup because its data is saved in the system. This idea is not correct at all. In the case of hacking or system crash, Thunderbird emails will become unrecoverable. Saving Thunderbird emails to hard drive is important for a number of reasons. Some of these are:
- Enhanced Performance: Downloading Thunderbird emails to local hard drives frees up local server storage. When the local server has got less space occupied, the performance of the server enhances significantly.
- Protection From Hacking: Hackers can cause users trouble if they get access to their Thunderbird emails. Hard Drive backup of Thunderbird emails protects you from permanent data loss caused by hacking.
- Uninterrupted Business: Local server failure hampers any business that does not have Thunderbird message backup. Saved copy of Thunderbird emails helps organizations to continue their regular business process.
- Safeguarding Data Loss: Thunderbird email data backup safeguards your data from all types of accidents. In case you unintentionally hard delete some emails, these can be recovered from Thunderbird hard drive backup.
- Effortless Data Migration: If Thunderbird emails are saved in Hard Drive, it is easy to transfer them. When users need to export Thunderbird data to another system, this backup turns out to be very useful.
How to Backup Thunderbird Email Messages to Internal/External Hard Drive
Because of above reasons, backup Thunderbird email to hard drive is necessary for data security. Now we will know about different methods of backup Thunderbird email messages.
To conduct manual method, users need to know about the location of Thunderbird profile in system. Mozilla Thunderbird stores three types of data in our system. These are:
- Copies of local or server messages,
- Thunderbird user account password,
- Preferences and settings modified by user.
All these data types are saved in a Profile. During the Thunderbird installation, A default Profile gets created and saved within the system. Inside the Profile sub-folder of the Thunderbird folder, all profiles are saved. Profile use following convention:
Users can find Thunderbird Profile in the following location:
Method 1: Manual Method to Backup Thunderbird Email to Hard Drive
After locating profile folder of Thunderbird, let us proceed with manual backup technique. It is divided into two segments:
Profile Backup: Follow the manual steps to create profile backup:
- Exit Mozilla Thunderbird if it is opened. Suppose the profile folder is zzzzzzzz.default
- Using the technique shown above, locate profile folder
- The profile can be found at this location:
User > AppData > Roaming > Mozilla Thunderbird> Profiles> zzzzzzzz.default
- Right-click this folder and select copy option
- Go to saving location like CDRW disk, USB, etc. Right-click and Paste to save Thunderbird profile backup.
Restore Backup Profile: To restore backup profile manually, simply copy Thunderbird profile folder on the same system or separate system. Thus users can access Thunderbird profile data any time they need.
Limitations of Manual Method: Users should keep in mind the limitations of performing the backup process manually. Its drawbacks are:
- Time-Taking Process: Manual technique of Thunderbird email backup is time-consuming. The complete process takes a considerable amount of time.
- Multiple Steps: This method contains multiple numbers of steps. Users have to be alert to perform all steps sequentially.
- Supervision Needed: The technique cannot be processed unsupervised. Users have to actively administer through the entire process.
The above-mentioned drawbacks lead most of the users to perform Thunderbird email backup using automated method.
Method 2: Automated Method to Backup Thunderbird Email
Users can apply automated method to avoid drawbacks of manual method. Using third-party applications to save Thunderbird data is called the automated method. MBOX to Outlook Converter is a reliable tool to backup Thunderbird email to hard drive. It provides one-stop solution to Thunderbird backup problems. Users can preview all Thunderbird emails using this software. It also converts Thunderbird emails into PST, EML, NSF and MSG format. This program has ability to detect MBOX data even without appended extension. Users of Windows 10 and all below versions can use this software on their system. This program automatically performs backup so that users do not need to supervise continuously.
This discussion mentions how to backup Thunderbird email to Hard Drive. This step by step guideline to Thunderbird backup will be useful to the readers. Manual method can backup Thunderbird messages but it has some limitations. Experts suggest an automated method as the best technique for the backup process. This tool can securely store Thunderbird messages to a hard drive. Use this backup application to save Thunderbird emails to Hard Drive and secure your data.