Are you tired of encountering Microsoft SQL Server error 3241 restore headeronly is terminating abnormally repeatedly when restoring a database from a .bak file? No solution found to fix this error? If yes, then this blog will help you out to recover SQL Server database restore error 3241 with possible methods. Here, we will discuss the causes of the SQL Server 3241 error the media family on device is incorrectly formed, the manual solution to fix this issue and automated solution to resolve SQL backup restore error 3241.
Microsoft SQL Server Error 3241
This is the error that appears when restoring SQL BAK file in SQL Server Database.
Msg 3241, Level 16, State 7, Line 1
The media family on device 'xyz.bak' is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family.
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally
Causes of SQL Server 3241 Error
There can be multiple causes for SQL Server Error 3241 when restoring a database from backup such as-
- If you trying to restore a database from a backup file that was created on a later version of SQL Server to an earlier version of SQL Server, then the SQL Server 3241 error occurs. You can only restore a .bak file to the same or later SQL Server version.
- This Microsoft SQL Server error 3241 restore headeronly is terminating abnormally may also occur if the backup file is corrupted that restoring to the SQL Server Database. The backup file can be corrupted due to file uploaded using FTP Text Mode.
- There is also a possibility if the SQL Backup Agent service does not have the necessary access permission. To restore the database from a .bak file to the SQL Server, the SQL Backup Agent Service should have read permission to access the folder which contains the backup file.
Manual Solution to Fix Media Family is Incorrectly Formed Error
Before starting the process of restoring the SQL database from the .bak file, you must first verify the version of your SQL Server. If you don’t have the same version of SQL Server in which the backup (.bak) file was created, then upgrade the SQL Server database to the same or higher version.
- The SQL Backup Agent Service should have necessary access permission to restore SQL Server database from backup (.bak) file and avoid Microsoft SQL Server error 3241 restore headeronly is terminating abnormally.
- If your backup file was corrupted because the file uploaded using FTP Text Mode, then you need to upload the backup file using FTP in Binary Mode and then restore the SQL .bak file.
These are two manual solutions that will help you to resolve MS SQL Server error 3241 while restoring a database. There is no guarantee that this SQL error 3241 the media family on device is incorrectly formed will resolve completely and successfully using this manual method. If your SQL backup file is corrupted and unable to repair, then you must use a third-party solution that will repair corrupt SQL .bak file effortlessly and completely.
Automated Solution to Fix SQL Server 3241 Error When Restoring Database
SQL Server Backup Recovery software is the best and successful solution to resolve the media family on device is incorrectly formed 3241 error. It is specially designed with the advanced features that will allow all types of users to completely repair corrupt SQL backup file. This application scan and recover all tables, views, functions, keys, triggers and other elements from the .bak file. It gives permission to open and view the .bak file before restoring to the SQL Server Database or SQL Server Scripts. It supports all SQL Server versions such as SQL Server 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008, 2008 R2 to fix and restore SQL database from .bak file. With the help of this tool, you can easily resolve Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 error 3241, SQL Server 2005 error 3241, and other SQL Server versions error.
Additional Features of SQL Backup Recovery Tool
The software application offers multiple beneficial features to its users for resolving Microsoft SQL Server error 3241 restore headeronly is terminating abnormally. Some of them are as follows:-
- Able to repair & recover corrupt .bak file of Microsoft SQL Server 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008, 2008 R2, and other below versions.
- Fix corrupted SQL backup file with all tables, views, stored procedures, rules, triggers, and functions.
- Provides option to restore multiple BAK files and restore it on a live SQL Server Database using login credentials.
- No file size limitations to repair & restore corrupt SQL .bak file with all database objects.
- Compatible with all Windows Operating System such as Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, and so on.
- Resolve Microsoft SQL Server 3241 error to restore SQL database from .bak file to a new database or an existing database.
The Final Words
Many users are struggling with a SQL Server error 3241 when restoring a database from a .bak file. In this write-up, we mentioned both manual and automated solution to recover Microsoft SQL Server error 3241 restore headeronly is terminating abnormally. If your error cannot be resolved with the manual approach because the SQL BAK file is corrupted, you must use the automated solution that will repair corrupt SQL Server backup and restore a .bak file to the SQL Server database.