Rebuild Exchange Database Using PowerShell Commands In 2013, 2016 Version
Exchange Server is most widely used servers not only in small-scale industry but also in large-scale businesses. Moreover, EDB file is also known as Exchange Database being used by Exchange server to save all the emails, journals, contacts, etc. that are associated with all mailbox users. Since a large amount of data has been saved in a .edb file, it becomes corrupted or damaged and makes all needed data preserved in inaccessible mode. It creates a big problem if a user is also a Database Administrator of a business, which can run the Exchange Server. In order to access the respective data again, the EDB database file needs to be recovered. In the following section, we will discuss the complete procedure to know how to rebuild Exchange Database in Exchange Server 2013, 2016.
Steps to Rebuild Exchange Database in 2013, 2016 Version via PowerShell Cmdlets
If the Exchange EDB file can save the damaged or corrupted mailboxes then, all data may be inaccessible and it will definitely hamper the growth of an organization in future. One of the best way to regain the accessibility for restoring the mailboxes from the backup. Let us now have to follow the below steps to rebuild Exchange Database in 2013, 2016 version:
1. Firstly, to find the exact folder path location where the Exchange Server Database and its log files are saved too. Before to begin the recovery process, be sure that there is sufficient free space to store data after recovery.
2. Then, Check the status of the Exchange EDB file to view whether it is in dirty or clean shutdown state. If those files are in clean shutdown state, users can carry on the recovery process but if, it is in a dirty shutdown state, then, soft recovery or hard recovery might be required. For doing this purpose, run the below command:
3. Creating the Recovery Database (RDB) is a type of Exchange database in Exchange 2013 Server to mount any mailbox databases from the backup. The recovery database must have a unique name. For example, when using the name and path of a file for EdbFilePath parameter, and use the desired location of a recovered file for LogFolderPath parameter. Use the following script:
4. Next, to Confirm that the database is in mounted state by using the given below command:
5. Now, in this step to mount the database if it was not mounted earlier with the help of below cmdlet:
6. After that, the status of the EDB database should be verified through the following command:
7. Next, check each and every mailbox is available in the recovery database, verify by using below script:
8. By executing the Exchange Powershell Commands, all the mailboxes may be easily recovered. The entire database mailbox can be restored or even source mailbox may recover the various user mailbox, which depends on the user’s requirement
9. Now, again to check the status report whether all emails in user mailbox have been restored or not by using “Get-MailboxRestoreRequest” cmdlet
10. In the last step, to delete the Request of Mailbox Restore till the restoration process has been completed with the help of command below:
Limitations of Manual Solution
The manual procedure is too lengthy and also requires the complete understanding of the Exchange server. Therefore, it can be possible that a naive user will not be able to perform all these Powershell commands without any expert help. Also, for minor corruption in Exchange database, PowerShell commands is succeed but not for major corruption. Many user faced the data loss issues while recovering heavily damaged Exchange database by PowerShell commands.
Perfect Solution to Rebuild Exchange Database without Data Loss
After performing the restoration process, get to access a target mailbox in MS Outlook. If the data may be accessed successfully, it means that the recovery has been done correctly. But still, if the data can not access then, one can take help of the third-party utility like Exchange Recovery that will scan and recover the corrupt Exchange .edb mailboxes and all data items in a proper way. Even does not require any supportive environment during the restoration process. Also, it can repair the severely and heavily corrupted .edb data with advanced scanning. Here are some best features of this software:
- Restore Exchange Mailbox To Live Exchange Server, Office 365, MBOX, PST, PDF
- Recover Deleted Emails With Attachments From MS Exchange Server Mailbox
- Option to Repair Microsoft Exchange Server Priv.edb, Pub.edb & Stm Files
- Recover Data from Dismounted and Offline Exchange Server EDB Files
- Export Selective Items From EDB File Using Date & Time-Based Filter
Wrapping it Up
As we know all the Exchange server information are saved in its primary repository i.e. mailbox database. However, the Exchange is the most important part of an application. Sometimes, it can be possible that database terminated unexpectedly while performing any normal operation on the Exchange database. After considering all such things, then, we have discussed the complete manual procedure to rebuild Exchange database in Exchange Server 2013, 2016. As this manual approach is quite confusing and very time-consuming, there is one alternate solution is also suggested to recover the Exchange mailbox data very easily.