What is Outlook OST File and Where Is OST File Located
Have you heard about OST file, created in Outlook email client. In this article find out answer of What is Outlook OST file and Where is OST file located?
What is Outlook OST File
Outlook OST file stands for Offline Storage Table and automatically created by Microsoft Outlook in Windows OS for developing a connection with Microsoft Exchange server. OST file allows a user to use the Microsoft Exchange Cached or Offline mode, so a user can access their emails without staying connected to Microsoft Exchange server. Whenever new emails are received by Exchange server, MS Outlook will synchronize OST file with the MS Exchange server. Outlook OST file helps a user to work in offline mode whenever internet connection or server get down or interrupt.
When a user is working in an Offline mode, Microsoft Outlook created an exact copy of mailbox on Microsoft Exchange Server named as Offline folders with OST file format. Each and every modification made while working in offline mode is automatically synchronized when MS Outlook are connected to Microsoft Exchange Server. Using the send/receive command, a user can perform send or receive functions and copy the changes which were made while working in offline mode on MS Outlook. During this process, permanently deleted Outlook OST items are removed from the MS Exchange server’s copy as well.
Many users have some query about how to view OST file without connected with MS Exchange server and how to find Outlook OST file location in the local machine. Here’s the solution.
Where Is OST File Located
Microsoft Outlook OST file is offline storage table which stored in the local machine. Here we find out the answer of where is OST file located on a local machine in Windows and Mac OS.
Outlook OST files default location on Windows XP OS
MS Outlook 2010: My Documents\Outlook Files
MS Outlook 2007 or earlier versions: C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Outlook OST files default location on Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10 OS
Outlook 2010: Documents\Outlook Files
Outlook 2007 or earlier versions: C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
Outlook OST files default location on Mac OS
Outlook 2011 database file: ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/Main Identity/
Outlook 2011 storage folders: ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/Main Identity/Data Records
How to Find Outlook OST File Location
Follow the mentions step to finding out the solution of where is OST file located in MS Outlook 2010, 2007 and 2003:
1. Start Microsoft Outlook (any 2010, 2007 or 2003)
2. On the Tool Menu, click on Account Settings
3. In the list, select MS Exchange Server, and then click on Change option
4. “Change E-mail Account” dialog box performs
5. Click on More Settings. The “Microsoft Exchange” dialog box performs
6. Click on Advanced tab. The view of the “Microsoft Exchange” dialog box gets changed
7. Click on the Offline Folder File Settings button. The “Offline Folder File Settings” dialog box performs:
8. The dialog box is having Outlook OST file location in the File field
9. Outlook OST file is usually located at C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost
10. Just copy the Outlook OST file path.
This gives you Outlook OST file location.
In this informative article, you would found what is Outlook OST file and Where is OST file located and how to find OST file location. MS Outlook having two file type one is PST and second is OST file. Also, discover how to split OST file and merge OST file.