Quick Technique to Import Google Drive to Another Account
Google Drive is one of the easy-to-use cloud service provided by Google for the purpose of file storage and synchronization. In every Google account, Google Drive offers 15 GB of free space for its users which can be further expanded with a different subscription plan. The storage is shared among Gmail, Google Photos, Google+, and Google Drive. It enables the users to store, view, share or edit presentations, spreadsheets, etc, and helps to access the files. It also provides the provision to invite others in order to view, download, and coordinate the files. Also, the option to import Google Drive to another account.
Google Drive is basically used to take backup of important data in the cloud. When a user runs out of space, the files can be transferred to another account. Most of the users have more than one Google Drive account, but Google does not provide an easy way to transfer the files. Hence, it is advised to rely on a workaround to transfer files to another account. Focussing on this point, this blog describes the reasons and approaches to import Google Drive to another account.
Table of Contents
For Your Ease: You can also check out the write up to transfer Google Docs across domains. In this, we have covered the solution to transfer of Ownership between the same as well as across the domains. Do have a look!
Reasons to Import Google Drive to Another Account
- Restricted free storage space: It is known that for each Google account, a user can avail of 15 GB of free storage space. This space is shared between Gmail, Google+, and Google Drive. Due to this, restricted storage size, most of the users are creating more than one account. This helps to generate more storage space and thus becomes unavoidable to import Google Drive to another account drive.
- Migrating Google account from one domain to another: There comes a need to change the domain at some point in time. It generally occurs when user graduates from school/college, Job change, etc. Hence, it becomes a reason to import Google Drive to another account drive.
Important Factors Before Performing a Bulk Migration
- If something goes wrong then be prepared to lose the formatting of the data. If the file is not formatted as Google Docs, the formatting will be turned off while converting to a Google doc format during the transition.
- As there is no such reliable process which can import Google Drive to another account. Hence, do not waste time in looking out for a free automated tool which can execute the migration.
- Lastly, if there is a need to share files with others then make sure to write the sharing and permission settings manually. Then, re-assign them once the transition is made.
Manual Way to Copy Google Drive Folder to Another Account
Step 1. Use your credentials to log in to https://takeout.google.com/
Step 2. Click on ‘Deselect all’ (By default all data is selected for downloading). As we only want to transport the data stored on our Google Drive, other data is not required.
Step 3. Scroll down untill you see the Google Drive option. Mark the checkbox next to it.
Step 4. Before Proceeding Check the default file format of the items that are present for your convenience we have listed them in a tabular format.
Step 5. Configure the advanced settings which include two options:
- 1st Include named, published, and uploaded versions
- 2nd Include additional info for files and folders
Mark them only if required as they add more time to the already lengthy takeout process.
Step 6. Click on the button titled “All Drive data included”. As the name suggests all the folders inside the Drive are going to be extracted. Moreover, this is the default option. If you only want to transfer the Google Drive folder to another account in a more precise click the button and make the necessary changes.
Step 7. Then scroll down and click on ‘Next Step’
Step 8. This will close the option selection menu and open up the export settings menu. Here there are quite a few settings so hang on tight. First up we have a destination by default it will email you a link when the export is ready. You can change to receive the data at some other location as well.
- Then set up the frequency of export.
- Afterward, pick a filetype either .zip or .tgz
- Choose an export size.
- Click on Create export.
Step 9. Click on the link that arrives in your email.
Step 10. Download the data and Upload it on the target Drive.
Limitations of Manual Approach to Transfer Google Drive to Another Account
- Takes more time due to its lengthy steps to import Google Drive to another account
- Technical support and guidance is required while implementing the migration process
- Difficult to monitor the entire process of migration without any data loss
Automated Solution to Import Google Drive to Another Account
There arise always some issue while performing manually, hence it is not at all a reliable method. Due to its various shortcomings which are discussed above, it is advised to use a professional tool such as Google Drive Migration tool. It is an efficient and reliable software to import Google drive to another account drive. This tool does not require any technical expertise or technical knowledge to transfer Google Drive files to another drive. This tool executes the process in a very short period of time by simply providing the source and destination drive address and validating them.
Features of Google Drive Migration Software
There are various features of this tool, some of them are listed below:
- Allows transferring data from one Google Drive to another account
- Maintains on-disk folder hierarchy after the migration is done
- Generates a file transfer report in CSV format for future reference
- Provides an option for Migration Settings and Apply Date Filter
- Works on all latest versions of Windows PC v 10 and below
- Provides an option to pause/resume and stop while transferring the files
To import Google Drive to another account is anyhow a time-consuming process. Though the manual method can be used, it is not a reliable approach. Hence, it is advised to use the Google Drive Migration tool which is an automated tool. It allows transferring all files from one Google Drive to another domain. In addition, it also allows us to move deleted or shared files without any loss of data.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why isn’t it possible to merge my existing Google Drive account with a new one?
Ans. These are the reasons why Google itself does not provide any merge option between accounts.
- Increases the possibility of storage limit breaches.
- Created additional security vulnerabilities.
- May result in irreversible data loss.
Q. What is the difference between syncing, copying, and transferring data between Google Drive?
Ans. Syncing means continuous linc of two accounts with each other any change in one is reflected on the other and vice-versa. Copying on the other hand means bringing a mirror image of the current data (or just a part of current data ) present in one account to another. In this, any new updates on the host drive are not reflected on the target. However, when we talk about transferring the entire data present at the source is moved to the new destination. Here a data migration takes place after which the original account is most often terminated by the user.
Q. When is the best time to transfer Google Drive data?
Ans. Being an entirely cloud-based Google Drive has no downtime so you can set up a Google takeout at any time. However, due to the high rate of failure and inconsistent results, Takeout may not be the most appropriate choice for data transfer. That’s why users should go for the automated utility instead.