Fix Exchange Server is in an Inconsistent State 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 Error
Exchange Server is an essential utility for many businesses large and small. Extensive features and services have enabled organizations to improve employee communication and increase productivity. However, users may have common errors like Exchange Server is in an Inconsistent State in all versions of Exchange Server when trying to upgrade to a new version such as 2019, 2016.
Here are Some Reasons for the Exchange Server Error
This error usually occurs when you attempt to upgrade after uninstalling the previous version and the Exchange Server object already exists in the Active Directory (with the same domain name).
- If user installed Exchange 2010 on a new server but the installation did not complete successfully.
- Attempting to reinstall the Exchange 2010 version, process will fail.
Sometimes it may appear to be due to a lack of system requirements or other similar reasons. Also, if the installation process fails, the Exchange Server will be in an inconsistent state.
Exchange Server is in an Inconsistent State – Manual Solution
As mentioned before, this problem occurs mainly during the installation of a new version of the server. Therefore, here are some techniques you can use to correct this error.
Reinstall Exchange Server 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 in Recovery Mode
Reinstalling the Exchange Server in recovery mode is a useful option to fix this error. The procedure for reinstalling an Exchange Server is as follows:
- Disable Exchange Server User Account Control
- Next, open PowerShell and find Setup file’s location
- Execute the following command:
.\ setup.exe /m:recoverserver/iacceptexchangeserverlicenseterms
The “recoverserver” switch allows you to rebuild the Exchange server using parameters stored in the Active Directory.
After the setup is complete, put the recovered server into production. Previously, however, reconfigure any custom configurations that were previously configured for the Exchange Server.
This allows you to reinstall the Exchange Server and the error may not occur again.
Rename Option to Fix Exchange Server is in an Inconsistent State
Renaming Exchange is one of the easiest ways to fix Exchange Server is in an Inconsistent State error. The method is shown below:
- Rename the current Exchange Server to a different name than the previous Exchange Server in the same domain
- Connect an Exchange Server to the domain
- Then install Exchange Server again.
Remove an Exchange Server Object from the Active Directory
If you want to avoid having to use disaster recovery mode to reinstall the Exchange Server, deleting the Exchange server object from the Active Directory is a good way to fix the error. Follow these steps to delete an object.
- Open ADSIEdit.msc
- Go to CN=Exchange Administrative Group, CN=Administrative Groups, CN=First Organization, CN=Microsoft Exchange, CN=Services, CN=Configuration, DC=wsmbda, DC=com
- Then Delete the Exchange Server object
- Wait for Active Directory to be Updated
- Then Restart Exchange Server setup.
You can use these manual options to fix the “Exchange Server is in an Inconsistent State” error. However, Exchange administrators may address the following errors in these ways:
- Users logged into the Domain Admin account will see a delete button (red) and nothing can be deleted.
- Administrators cannot find an add / edit option to delete unwanted servers in EMC.
Also, some errors may not be due to Exchange Server, but they may be due to Exchange database corruption. Exchange database is corrupted for various reasons, such as instant shutdown. In such cases, administrators need to act quickly and fix any corruption issues. But how to quickly fix Exchange database errors from different versions like 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007?
Automated Solution to Solve Exchange Database Corruption Issues
The automated solution Exchange Mailbox Recovery Software is the most effective automated solution for repairing a corrupted Exchange database file. Export EDB data to multiple platforms such as Outlook PST, Office 365, Exchange Server. The advanced features of these Software stand out from the competition:
Download Exchange Recovery Tool Purchase Exchange Recovery Tool
- Restore the Exchange Mailbox to Live Exchange Server, Office 365, MBOX
- Recover Deleted Emails with Attachments from the Exchange Mailbox
- Repair Microsoft Exchange Mailbox: Priv.edb, Pub.edb & Stm Files
- Recovering Data from an Unspecified Offline EDB File
- Maintain Folder Hierarchy on Disk after Exchange Database
- Export Options from EDB File using Date and Time Filters
This advanced software can meet all the needs of Exchange Server recovery and migration.
Exchange Server is in an Inconsistent State – Final Words
The “Exchange Server is in an Inconsistent State” error puts the administrator in a difficult position. You cannot use Exchange Server or access your data. However, if there is a problem with the server, you can manually fix it. However, if the problem is Exchange database corruption, we recommend that you use Exchange Recovery Tool to fix EDB corruption problem.