Microsoft Outlook email client application is used worldwide and launches a new version from time to time with new features, better security, and more storage space. For this reason, users are updating to a new version. As a result, users have multiple PST data files and duplicate contacts on their systems that are not an easy task to manage. Are you tired of multiple PST files and duplicate Outlook contacts? Do you want to merge multiple Outlook contacts folders and delete duplicate contacts? Do not panic, here is the solution. In this blog, you will learn about several ways to combine and delete duplicate entries in Outlook contacts. So, let’s go to the whole process.
As we all know that Outlook allows users to create multiple accounts for sending/receiving email messages and manage contacts & calendars data. But now users are frustrated with their multiple data and want to combine PST files from multiple accounts into a single one. The same as duplicate contacts in Outlook is the most crucial situation for users. To overcome both the problems, we are here with the best techniques that are helpful to delete and merge duplicate Outlook contacts.
Manual Ways to Combine and Delete Duplicate Entries in Outlook Contacts
Most users are always looking for manual solutions to perform this task. For this reason, in the following section, we first learn how to remove duplicate Outlook contacts manually and then switch to the alternate solution. In the manual process, we need to perform several steps such as:
You need to perform all these four steps properly to delete duplicate contacts in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2016, 2013, 2010 manually.
Step 1: Remove Duplicate Outlook Contacts One by One
- Run Outlook application and go to People
- In the Current View option, click Views and then click on Phone. Now you can find all the duplicates here.
- In the contact list, hold down the Ctrl key and select the duplicates one at a time as per the need.
- After selecting the duplicates, click the Delete button.
Now, we are going to explain how to remove duplicate Outlook contacts in bulk. After that, we know the steps to combine and delete duplicate entries in Outlook contacts.
Step 2. Delete Duplicate Outlook Contacts in Bulk
- In Outlook, select the “People” option
- In your current Contacts folder, right-click and choose New Folder and Rename it.
- Go back to the Contacts folder and select all contacts to press (Ctrl + A)
- Now, you need to move all the contacts to the New Folder. To do so, you can simply Drag all and drop them to the new folder. Otherwise, you can press Ctrl+Shift+V and go to the Move to Folder after that choose your new folder.
- Go to File >> Open & Export >> and select Import/Export
- Select the option “Export to a file” after that choose Comma Separated Values (CSV)
- Select the same new folder that was previously created.
- Save the file to your desired location, and then click Finish.
Step 3. Import Back the Contact into Outlook
- Click File >> Open >> Import
- Select “Import from another program or file” option and choose CSV file
- Browse to select the New Folder created earlier and check the “Do not import duplicate items”
- Select the primary Contact folder for the target that is empty and click the Finish button.
After completing this step, simply move all the contacts from the new folder to the main contacts folder. This is the last step to combine and delete duplicate entries in Outlook contacts.
Step 4. Get Back the Contacts From New Folder to Main Contacts Folder
- Go to the New Contact Folder
- Now just click on one of the contacts in the New folder and press “Ctrl + A” to select all contacts.
- Here you must move the selected contacts to your Primary Contacts folder. You can either drag and drop them or click Ctrl + Shift + V to use the Move to Folder dialog box.
If you ever get a duplicate again, you will see a pop-up with two options:
1. Select “Add new contact” if the contact is not a duplicate.
2. Select “Update information of the selected contact” if the contact is a duplicate.
- Select the required option as per your need.
- Click on “Update” and if you want to repeat the exact choice for all the duplicate contacts, choose the “Update All” option.
- If you copy back all contacts, delete the new folder that you created to store duplicates.
Advisable Solution to Combine and Delete Duplicate Entries in Outlook Contacts
If the above manual steps do not work properly to delete duplicate Outlook contacts, you must use PST Merge Tool. This software is specially designed to merge and eliminate duplicate contacts in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and other versions. With the help of this application, you can also merge duplicate Outlook contacts without losing a single piece of information. The original formatting and structure of the contacts are retained when combining and removing duplicate contacts.
Quick Steps to Remove Duplicate Outlook Contacts
Following the below-described steps to combine and delete duplicate entries in Outlook contacts in a few clicks.
Step 1. After downloading and installing the software, add PST Files or Folder.
Step 2. Select the option “Merge Contacts” and in the Advanced option, check the “Remove Duplicates” box.
Step 3. Browse and select the desired location to save the output.
Step 4. Click the “Merge PST Files” button to start the process.
In the blog above, we explained the step-by-step how to combine and delete duplicate entries in Outlook contacts using a manual and automated solution. The manual process is very tedious and complex. You need to follow multiple steps to eliminate duplicate contacts in Outlook via manually and you must have technical knowledge for this. Otherwise, there is a high probability of data loss. For a quick and secure solution, it is advisable to use the Outlook PST Merge software. This will help you to delete and merge duplicate Outlook contacts.
Yes, using the Outlook PST Merge tool, you can easily merge duplicate Outlook contacts in 2013 and other versions.
Yes, the user can combine multiple PST files into a single file using this application.
Yes, this software is 100% secure and helps the user to remove duplicate contacts in Outlook without data loss.