Fix the Error: This Mailbox has Exceeded the Maximum Number of Corrupted Items
Hilda Thomas: “I was moving the Exchange mailbox from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. I tried to move 100 of mailboxes, mostly all of them were successful. A few of them displayed the error. The Error said: Error: This mailbox has exceeded the maximum number of corrupted items. Before exporting the mailbox, I set the option “Skip the corrupted items” maximum to 50. Now, I realize that the corrupted items exceed 50. I am kind of stuck here. Can anyone help me to identify the issue? Is there a fix for this issue? Thank you.”
Migration of mailboxes from one Exchange Server to another is always an important but risky procedure. It requires proper planning and various types of testing to complete it without any issue. It needs to be carried out under the expert execution. It generally happens because as the new version of Exchange is introduced, it offers more features as compared to the previous version. If there is any mistake in the execution process, it may lead to loss of data or corruption. Moreover, complicated errors are generated.
Possible Reasons Behind the Error
You must have heard of the saying- “Prevention is better than cure”. Before knowing the solution for the error, users must know the root cause of the error so that the error can be avoided in the future. The possible reasons behind the error: this mailbox has exceeded the maximum number of corrupted items are:
- Corrupted Items Exceeds the limit: When the number of corrupted items while transferring mailboxes from one Exchange to another exceeds the permissible number of corrupted items, the error will definitely occur. It is because if the corrupted items exceed the limit, the migration process will be stopped in between.
- Exchange Server Itself is corrupted: The error may also occur if the Exchange Server from which the items are transferred, is corrupted. It is because if the Exchange Server is corrupted, the mailboxes in the server will also be damaged. The degraded items cannot be migrated resulting in Error.
Resolve the Error: This Mailbox has Exceeded the Maximum Number of Corrupted Items
There are various automated tools to fix the error caused due to the Exchange corrupted items. But, manual methods are also equally important. In the upcoming section, both approaches are discussed. A user can choose anyone depending on the need. Let us study each technique in detail:
Approach 1: Using Powershell Command
To change the migration procedure of any Exchange Server, a user needs to use PowerShell and execute all sort of complex commands. To increase the limit of corrupt mailboxes, follow the steps listed below:
- Open PowerShell Command
- Then, run Get-MoveRequest command. Press Enter. Doing this will list all the mailboxes which are unable to migrate
- Execute Set-MoveRequest command with value as 100
Warning: If you are setting bad limit items close to 50, you need to have AcceptLargeDataLoss switch.
Note: To perform this manual technique, a user must have Admin rights.
Approach 2: Identify Corrupt Mailbox Item and Eliminate it from Quarantine
To use this approach, a user needs to follow these steps:
- Execute Get-mailbox-statistics-identity to find the GUID (Globally Unique Identifier) of the corrupt or damaged mailboxes
- Press F1 key and then find registry entry
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Private-(db-guid)\Quarantinemailboxes\(the mailbox guid)
- Change the key that specifies GUID
- At last, use the iisreset command to restart IIS
- This method will eliminate the corrupted mail items from quarantine.
Tip: If other methods are unable to fix the error, then go for this method. This method is not generally preferred because it disables the isolation option and permits damaged mailbox to be a part of the export process.
Approach 3: Using ESEUTIL Command
An administrator can make use of the Exchange inbuilt utility to perform hard and soft recovery on the offline Exchange Server. To use this tool, it is necessary to have admin rights. The technical knowledge of the user must also be very strong. Following are the steps that are to be followed:
- Repair the corrupted database by using ESEUTIL command with /p switch
- Defragment the recovered database with the help of Eseutil/d command
- At last, use the ISInteg command to check the database.
Best Solution: EDB to PST Converter
The best solution to fix the Error: this mailbox has exceeded the maximum number of corrupted items is to use EDB to PST Converter. This is the professional solution to resolve the issue regarding mailboxes migration.
Download Now Purchase Now
While transferring the mailboxes from one Exchange Server to another, all the mailboxes are not migrated successfully. It shows the error: this mailbox has exceeded the maximum number of corrupted items. It is because of the corruption in the Exchange Server or number of corrupted items exceeds the pre-defined value. Various manual methods are discussed. But, the manual method requires deep knowledge of the Exchange Server. Moreover, data loss may also occur if any of the commands are not executed properly. Hence, it is advised to go with the automated solution as suggested. According to the experts, it is the master solution to resolve the error arising due to the exchange corrupted items.