How to Move Outlook Data Files from One PC to Another: Finest Explanation
Sometimes users want to move Outlook data file from one to computer to another. It seems to be easy, but in reality, it is not true. Users have to face some challenges while moving database of Outlook from one to another computer. They need to be well familiar with the technical things to avoid any kind of data loss.
We will resolve this question that how to transfer Outlook data files from one PC to another. The method is similar for both Mac Outlook files and Windows Outlook. However, the process to access Outlook files in Windows is different. Mac Outlook stores its data file in OLM file format and for Windows in PST file format.
Note: We are assuming that Outlook is not synchronized with Exchange Server
Default Location of Outlook Data file
- PST Files Location on Windows OS
For Windows 7
For Windows 8
For Windows 10
C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
- OLM Files Location on Mac OS
This is default location of OLM files
~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/Main Identity/Database
Additional Files Associated with MS Outlook
One thing that users need to keep in mind is that Outlook does not save all the setting and information in PST format. There are some more files for the storage of this information. These files are nk2, dat, Signature folder. While migrating Outlook data files from one to another system, it is recommended to move these files as well. Users just need to copy and store these files in the previous location i.e. where they saved in the old device.
Move Outlook Data Files From one Computer to Another
To Move Outlook PST Files
This process consists of some steps that need to followed one after the other to complete the migration of files:
- First, you need to copy the desired PST files in a USB drive or any external drive
- Copy PST file on the Local Machine
- In the other device or PC, open Microsoft Outlook (Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, etc.) and then click on File option
- Now, choose Open & Export and then from the menu click on Import/Export
- In the next step, select the option of Import from another program or file followed by a click on Next
- After this, choose Outlook data file (.pst) and click on Next.
- Finally, browse the Outlook PST file that have been imported from other system
All these steps will move the entire data files from one system to other system and after this; you can access PST files in new system.
To Move OLM Files
This process is not that much easy. The reason behind this is the incapability of Windows to access OLM files. Therefore, in order to shift the files and access OLM file in Windows operating system, follow these steps:
- Firstly, choose and copy the OLM files in any external or USB drive
- Now, save the files in any Windows machine
- Then, you need to convert OLM to PST format
Important Note: Conversion of Mac Outlook OLM files to PST is not achievable manually. Therefore, to convert these files users to have to take the help of a third party utility like OLM to PST Converter.
- After the conversion of all the OLM files into PST format, you need to open Outlook and then, hit on File option
- To proceed further, choose Open & Export option
- Now, select Import/Export, from the menu
- Choose the option of Import from another program or file, which is followed by the click on Next.
- After this, select Outlook data file (.pst) and then, click on Next.
- Finally, browse the Outlook PST file and you can access the files in new system.
Continuity of the work depends upon the management of data. It is possible that sometimes users want to know how to move Outlook data file from one computer to another system due to several reasons. In emergency users search for different methods and face some challenges in finding the relevant one. Therefore, in this write-up, we have tried to convey the process of migration of Outlook data files from one to another PC. Follow each step carefully for accurate results.