Lotus Notes email client, which is useful for email communication as well as Personnel information management in daily life. Moreover, it provides an easy to manage the mailbox databases including emails, tasks, meeting, calendars etc. stored in NSF file format. Lotus Domino has been around for almost two decades. Although, medium to large-sized companies has used the IBM Domino, which supports the business process to save the legal information. But, the new technologies are growing day by day, so the users choice is also changing rapidly. So, many Organizations have decided to perform the process of Lotus Notes Email Migration in an efficient way. Now, in this blog, we are going to discuss the various challenges of migrating Lotus Notes application in detail.
Lotus Notes Migration Tool – Migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365, Live Exchange Server, Outlook
Sometimes the manual procedure will not work properly or maybe NSF file gets corrupted. To overcome this, our experts have designed a commercial program namely Lotus Notes Migration Tools that perform the complete work as per user’s need.
Different Causes of Lotus Notes Email Migration
As we know Lotus Notes is a commonly used desktop-based mail client in the corporate world. It is one of the safe and secure email clients that can utilize for an exchange of information. For protecting each data on a local machine, Lotus Notes uses .nsf format. Since in Lotus Notes, many new features are not available and start losing the email user interface as well. Also, it is highly expensive and complex when it comes to maintenance. Due to such reasons, most of the users prefer to perform the conversion from Lotus Notes to other clients like Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc.
2 Major Challenges to Perform Lotus Notes Email Migration
Migration from one platform to another is generally done to save cost productivity. However, in few cases, technical aspect can be the reason too. The main challenges are categorized into two groups i.e. Business and technical aspects during the application migration process.
Challenge 1: Business Challenges to Migrate Lotus Notes Mailbox
First, we are going to discuss the Business challenges that are widely faced by small organizations. Some of the following challenges of Lotus Notes Email Migration are:
- Cost Reduction: Let us discuss the main cost drivers as given below
- Analysis of each data, which needs to be converted
- Selecting an appropriate technology for replacement
- With the email customization to implement all the required functionality
- Implementation, definition, improvement, and control of conversion process
- To ensure that users consistently deliver the high quality of context when migrating emails from Lotus Notes.
- Basic Legal Requirements: Ensuring the legal compliance during the entire migration process and it can be very expensive from such processes. In order, the entire process should be implemented, defined, and controlled to be sure that all the documents are exported completely without an error but when it performs with hands then, there is a chance the error may occur.
Challenge 2: Technical Challenges of Lotus Notes Email Migration
As we know, the technical challenges are more complicated as compared to the business challenge. From a technical point of view, the following challenges that need to be addressed during Lotus Notes Email Migration:
- Encrypting documents: It is also possible that a method to encrypt the document in Lotus Notes email application. If this application contains an encrypted document and the technical approach that can be useful to migrate Lotus Notes documents to another email client. Also, supports on-the-fly decryption files during the extraction for performing the Lotus Notes conversion successfully.
- Different types of Files: One single Domino application server may consist several documents with different types of databases, each file has its own collection, attachments, links, and metadata. When users want to convert data from Lotus Notes NSF and then, save the information into the new system, it is essential that every document is migrated in such a manner so, no one can access that crucial information or can not vanish from IBM Domino to a new target platform.
- Rich text fields: Text Data stored in Lotus Domino documents and also have various data types as date, time, or text type etc. that could be handled easily by any targeted platforms but the rich text fields become the most difficult task to move into another file format, which supports some other system. IBM Notes rich text fields is an open proprietary specification that cannot be extracted or transformed into the specific format easily which may be reused to another platform.
- Using Linked documents: Lotus Notes document that has rich text fields contains the link that might be connected to another Lotus Notes database. The targeted link that resides in the same application as well as on other Lotus Notes application document. This could be a major challenge to export data from Lotus Notes NSF to other clients as such links between all the documents should be maintained on target system types.
- Versioning documents: Version, which is widely used in Lotus Domino server, especially in document fields that maintain all data files such as type of updated file or file with updated metadata. When users try to extract their document from the Domino application, it gets an important and challenging task to protect the version and keep all required detail so that the development of the particular document from an initial creation to the last modification could be traced easily.
After understanding the requirement of users, we have already discussed two major challenges that are addressed during Lotus Notes Email Migration. Along with this, we have covered all the possible reasons behind the migration from Lotus Notes to other email clients. In addition, a reliable tool is recommended that will help to overcome such challenges while migrating Lotus Notes to another email client.