Mac Mail is the most commonly used email client for Macintosh users. It is a desktop-based email client that can configure IMAP and POP3 accounts. There are often malicious entities sending unwanted emails either selling products or about winning a lottery. These are all spam messages that may clutter the Inbox and often carry with them viruses or malware. Often people find themselves looking for solutions on how to set up Apple Mail spam settings. This post has been designed for those searching for answers online. It explains all the steps necessary to adjust spam filtration in Mac Mail. Read the entire segment to find out more on this issue.
Steps to Enable Apple Mail Spam Settings
Following are some of the ways that settings in Mac Mail can be adjusted to filter out spam emails:
Setting Spam Filter on Mac Mail
- First, open the Apple Mail application and go to Mail >> Preferences from the top bar on Macintosh computer
- Then, check the box that says “Enable junk mail filtering”
- Also, one can mark a single email as Spam from the banner on top of the message
- Then, leave the email in the Inbox folder as is. This setting helps Apple Mail decide what it should consider as junk mail. Mac Mail increases filtration and tightens security for all messages coming through the website and related email addresses.
Apple Mail Junk Filter Settings
The default Spam filters in Mac Mail have a list of malicious email addresses that it deems as junk. This setting when enabled forces these messages from a suspected ID directly to a Junk Mail folder. This folder contains all the emails from doubtful entities. One can simply drag an email that seems suspicious to this Junk Mail folder. It simply means that the message is not needed in the Inbox folder. The list of malicious email addresses keeps on growing every day as users keep placing IDs as Spam.
Manage Junk Mail In Apple Mail
- Delete messages to condition Mac Mail to identify messages as junk. These are custom actions that can be performed to refine Spam filter.
- There are incoming emails that are deemed as suspicious by Apple Mail junk list. Trust the Apple Mail Spam settings and drag those messages to Junk Mail folder.
- Apply rules to filter emails that escape the spam filtration in Apple Mail. One can set a criterion for messages that can be identified as junk mail. Select Perform custom actions option to choose this feature. For example, directly send emails to the junk folder that contain the word “Unsubscribe”.
Things to Consider While Apple Mail Spam Settings
Here are some important aspects that can be considered in ensuring a clean mailbox when clearing junk:
- Regularly check Junk Mail folder once in a week to make sure that no important emails are stuck there. If they are, simply drag the message back to the Inbox folder.
- Make sure not to filter out messages that have replied to in the recent past. If too many accounts send an email ID to spam, that address may become part of the Spam list. In future, anybody who receives a message from that ID will have a Junk Mail message header on top of it.
- If all else fails, try resetting the Junk Mail to default settings. This should be done in case of strenuous circumstances. It could virtually remove everything learned by Apple Mail on how one handles their junk.
The online email marketing is a booming business. One can always expect a tonne of emails when subscribing to a new online website. These can be dangerous as some might carry malicious attachments. When opened can lead to a viral attack on the system. It is important to learn how to set up Apple Mail spam settings. This can control and filter out unnecessary emails and make mailbox more secure. This way one can prevent their system from any damage. This post describes all the crucial steps needed to filter out emails.