Almost all Outlook users may be familiar with ‘Outlook archive does not reduce mailbox size’ issue. This error will occur when the PST file exceeds the recommended size and users must reduce the size of PST file using the archive option. This blog will describe the six simple techniques to resolve this error and reduce PST file size. Before accessing the solution to compress Outlook data, users should check the maximum size of the Outlook PST file.
What is Outlook Mailbox Size Limit?
The size limitations of the PST file vary depending on the different versions of Outlook. Below the PST file size limit mentioned:
- In Outlook 2002 and earlier, you can only save data up to 2 GB.
- The maximum size for Outlook 2003 and 2007 is 20 GB.
- In Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, the file size is limited to 50 GB.
How to Check Outlook Mailbox Size Limit?
After you know the size limit for Outlook PST files, let us know about the steps for checking the size limit of Outlook data files. Just follow these steps:
- In the Mail view, click your account
- Click Folder >> Folder Properties
- Click Folder Size option
- Now, you will see the size of the mailbox.
Related Solution:- Manual Steps to Increase Outlook Mailbox Size
Resolve Outlook Archive Does Not Reduce Mailbox Size Error
When Outlook archived but mailbox still full, then its become necessary to reduce the size of PST file to maintain the performance and speed of Outlook. If Outlook mailbox still full after archiving and PST file exceeds its size limitations, users faces many problems such as cessation of receiving and sending emails, PST file too large to open, the data file personal folders was not closed properly, and more. To solve all these problems, Microsoft provides an inbuilt feature in Outlook which helps users to manage and reduce size of Outlook mailbox.
#Trick 1. Delete Large Outlook Emails and Attachments
If your Outlook archive not clearing space of mailbox, then try to reduce the size of PST file using this technique. You can delete large Outlook data files when after archive mailbox still full. Follow the steps below to do this: –
- In the folder list, click Search Folders.
2. Under Organizing Mail, select Large Mail option. Then, click on the Choose under Customize Search Folder.
3. Now, specify the size in “Show mail greater than” box (like 5000 or 6000 KB) and click OK.
4. Now, a folder named “Larger than 6000 KB” is created under Search Folders.
When your Outlook mailbox full after archiving and you encounter a large PST file problem, then simply go to the search folders. Then click on the folder you just created and delete your emails which is not so important. By doing so, reduce Outlook mailbox size and continue to do this until the mailbox has enough space for new emails.
#Trick 2. Use Outlook Mailbox Cleanup Tool
You can reduce PST file size with Mailbox Cleanup options to fix Outlook archive does not reduce mailbox size issue using these steps:
- Go to File menu >> Info >> Cleanup Tools >> Mailbox Cleanup.
2. Using this tool, you can View Mailbox Size and also find items older/larger than a specified limit.
3. Mailbox Cleanup tool also offers Empty option. Here, you can delete all items present in the Deleted Items folder permanently. You can view deleted items size before deleting.
#Trick 3. Compress Outlook PST File
If Outlook archive doesn’t free up space, then you can compress Outlook data file that helps to restore some space in the mailbox. Follow the instructions below to do this:
- Click File tab >> Account Settings >> Account Settings.
2. Click on the Data Files tab, select the PST file then click Settings.
3. Then, Outlook Data File window will open. Here, click on the Compact Now option.
4. Now, click OK and that’s it.
Software to ‘Fix Outlook Archive Does Not Reduce Mailbox Size’ Issue
If still your Outlook mailbox size not reducing after archive then, you can simply go to the third-party tool. One such tool is Split PST. This software enables you to reduce PST file size by splitting large PST file into multiple smaller parts. It provides 6 options to reduce size of Outlook mailbox such as Split PST by Size, Date, Folder, Year, Email ID and Category. With this tool, you can split corrupted or inaccessible PST files. It supports the PST of all versions of MS Outlook such as Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, etc.
Steps to Reduce Outlook Mailbox Size Using PST Splitter
Step 1. To reduce size of PST file, download and install the software.
Step 2. Add PST file/folder(s) and provide Destination Path, then click Next to proceed.
Step 3. Now, choose desired Split Option and provide required information.
Step 4. Check summary of Split Information and click Next.
Step 5. Process to split Outlook PST file is completed.
After completing the task, just go to the selected location and verify final
multiple PST files saved at provided destination location.
Large PST files create many problems such as ‘Outlook archive not reducing mailbox size’. Thus, it is necessary to reduce size of Outlook mailbox to eliminate any errors. The Outlook archive does not reduce mailbox size error is the common mistake due to the excessive size of the PST files.
In this blog, we have described three manual tricks to reduce the size of Outlook mailbox. If the manual process to compress Outlook data does not meet your needs, we also mentioned the third-party tool, which makes this task very easy for all types of users, without any problem of data loss.
The above post, covered and resolved all below users queries successfully.
How can I deal with mailbox full Outlook 2016 error?
How to reduce the size of PST file?
PST file is too large, what can I do?
How long to Compact PST file?
How to check Outlook mailbox size limit?