Microsoft Outlook is a widely used email client for both business and individual use. After being so popular, there are still some users who want to switch to some other email client. There can be any possible reason behind their migration like switching the organization, using different email clients at home and workplace. In all such scenarios, users want to move their data items also from Outlook. One such important data item is contacted that is very much important for everyone. However, when it comes to switching from Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird is the first choice that comes in users mind. Hence, this blog will let users know how to import Outlook contacts to Thunderbird in the best possible way.
Reasons to Transfer Outlook Contacts to Thunderbird
There can be many possible reasons that let users switch from Outlook to Thunderbird in an efficient manner. However, in this section of the post, major ones are covered.
- Mozilla Thunderbird is easily accessible on multiple platforms like Windows, Mac, Linux OS.
- It is an open source and free application that a user can directly download on the machine.
- Thunderbird creates MBOX file to store mailbox data, which is further supported by multiple email clients.
- It has an easy-to-use interface and offers advanced functionalities to enhance the performance.
- It uses different file formats to store contacts and calendars.
- It provides chat feature also that let users stay connected on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Option to customize the desktop of Thunderbird using number of themes.
- It let users work in an organized manner and perform search operation quickly.
After going through all above points, it is clear that users want to migrate all Outlook data to Thunderbird. In the next section of the post, multiple ways to import Outlook contacts to Mozilla Thunder are discussed.
Manual Method to Import Outlook Contacts to Thunderbird
There is no direct method available that a user can try. Hence, a user can perform the same task in two different parts, which are discussed below:
- Export Contacts from Outlook
- Import Outlook Contacts to Thunderbird
Step 1: Export Contacts from Outlook in CSV Format
- First of all, open Microsoft Outlook and click File tab
- Then, you have to click on the Options from the displayed list
- After that, from Options window click on the Advanced tab
- Next, under the Export section, click on the Export button
- Then, in the Import and Export Wizard dialog box, click on the Export to a File >> Next
- Here, you need to click on the Comma Separated Values (Windows) from the displayed list of formats under the Create a File of the Type section
- After all this, from Select Folder to Export From section, you need to choose the contacts folder from which contacts needs to be exported
- Then, you need to choose the destination location of your choice to save the exported file
- Click on the Browse button and choose the location. After choosing the location, click on the OK button. The Export process will begin here
- As the process completed successfully, click on the Next and then on the Finish button
After exporting Outlook contacts in CSV format, its time to import CSV file to Mozilla Thunderbird and complete the migration process.
Step 2: Import Outlook Contacts to Thunderbird
In order to import extracted CSV file from Outlook to Mozilla Thunderbird, follow the steps mentioned below:
- To start the process, open Thunderbird and go to Tools menu
- After that, choose Import option from the displayed drop-down menu
- Then, click on the Address Book radio button in the Import window in order to import the contacts files. Click on the Next button
- A list of options is displayed in front of you. Simply click on the Text file (LDIF, .tab, .csv, .txt) option and then on the Next button
- Next, you need to click on the Browse button to choose the CSV file that you want to import
- Select the CSV file and check the First record contains field names checkbox
- Then, you have to click on the Move Up and Move Down button to confirm that the Outlook contacts fields matches with that of the Thunderbird contact fields
- After that, you also have to make sure that the Primary Email line up with the email address and Last Name line up with its corresponding name
- At last click on the OK button and then on the Finish button in order to complete the process
By following the above process step by step, a user can easily import Outlook contacts to Thunderbird manually.
Why Users Switch to Professional Solution?
The above discussed manual solution to import Outlook contacts to Thunderbird is not a feasible approach. Sometimes, the converted files are not as appropriate as original data. It means their might be some data integrity and formatting issue. In addition, if the manual process fails badly then it may damage the Outlook PST file. Another major drawback of manual method is data loss which no one can afford.
Thus, to overcome all such situations, a user is advised to take help of some trusted third-party tool. vCard Exporter Software is one such application that will help users out in the same. This software easily import Outlook contacts to Thunderbird in no time. In addition, a user can run this application on any version of Microsoft Windows OS and perform contacts migration in an efficient manner.